* User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advertisement

* Current Watches/Warnings/Advisories for TN - Click the (+) Icon to the Right to see them ------>

Author Topic: The 2017 Sprinter/Spring Thread  (Read 131640 times)

Online Crockett

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 39
Re: The 2017 Sprinter/Spring Thread
« Reply #510 on: May 22, 2017, 09:52:55 PM »
Our recent heat sure didn't last long.  The frequent cool, rainy weather we're having is starting to remind me of the summer of 2013.  I'll take it.

It's shaping up to be a 2008 redux, which absolutely sucks. For the life of me I'll never understand why you people like rainy weather.  >:D The good news is GFS consistently showing truly scorching temps around June 4-6, even if they will be short-lived.  ;D

Offline JayCee

• Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 777
« Reply #511 on: May 23, 2017, 05:48:36 AM »
It's shaping up to be a 2008 redux, which absolutely sucks. For the life of me I'll never understand why you people like rainy weather.  >:D The good news is GFS consistently showing truly scorching temps around June 4-6, even if they will be short-lived.  ;D

One--I've only used the air conditioner a handful of times this year (mainly last week), and I love the extremely low utility bill. 

Two--Rain/storms = weather.  Endless sun and heat like last year = boring.  ::sleeping::  If I enjoyed that kind of weather, I'd move to California.     ;D  Now, in all honesty, I would prefer more summer-like weather with a good mixture of sun and daily afternoon storms.  The dreary, cloudy weather with light rain isn't something I enjoy every day.  Give me a summer like 2009. 
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 05:57:08 AM by JayCee »
"For many years I was self-appointed inspector of snowstorms and rainstorms, and did my duty faithfully, though I never received one cent for it.." 
Henry David Thoreau

Offline StormNine

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
« Reply #512 on: May 23, 2017, 07:20:57 AM »
The latest GFS runs show quite a bit of rain Saturday night into Sunday morning across Western and portions of Middle Tennessee from what I assume would be an MCS. We are heading into the season for slow moving MCS events with at least localized flooding potential so that is something to watch.

Offline mamMATTus

• Supercell
  • Geologist
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 74
« Reply #513 on: May 24, 2017, 08:16:36 AM »
5% hatched area for all of east TN today on the Day 1. This definitely caught me by surprise.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Offline dwagner88

• Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
« Reply #514 on: May 24, 2017, 10:03:21 AM »
I think we've just had a unwarned tornado in southern Bradley county/ northern Murray county GA. Lots of damage reports coming in. There is another warned storm now further south in Gordon county, but I don't think the storm near the TN border was warned.
Winter 2009-10 Snowfall: 11.5 in. :)
Winter 2010-11 Snowfall: 15.5 in. :)
Winter 2011-12: Trace
Winter 2012-2013: 0.25 in.
Winter 2013-14: 10.6 (9.5 on 2/12)
Winter 2014-2015:
2/18 - 0.25" snow
2/20 - 1.5" snow, 0.15" ZR
2/24 - 0.5" snow
2/25 - 8" snow :)

Offline bluegrasspr

• Sunny
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #515 on: May 24, 2017, 11:06:39 AM »
We've had strong wind and storms this morning in Knoxville, but the local mets says that the worst is to come this afternoon. Is that right?

Offline Skillsweather

• Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 240
« Reply #516 on: May 24, 2017, 11:36:54 AM »
The storm that just passed me has smaller then pea size hail but it had huge winds. At least near warning level (no idea why their isn't a warning with it.) And the heavyest wind driven rain I have seen in a long time... Heres a picture of the radar I got just now. Im in far North east Wilson county (aka Lebanon).
Nevermind they just issued the warning but its over for me now lol. But it was definitely worthy of one at least super borderline anyways.
Oh btw the wind came in from the north at first then (super weak) then it switched from the south west hard and back from the west by the end of it. (strong storms usually do that here anyways) Just noting it for whoever cares lol.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 11:42:15 AM by skillsweather »
Snow, flood and storm lover.

Offline mamMATTus

• Supercell
  • Geologist
  • Liked:
« Reply #517 on: May 24, 2017, 12:06:20 PM »
TOR Watch coming soon for parts of middle and eastern TN. We are sunny here in Chatt currently!

[url]http://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/md/md0828.html/url]

Offline Skillsweather

• Derecho
  • Liked:
« Reply #518 on: May 24, 2017, 12:17:04 PM »
TOR Watch coming soon for parts of middle and eastern TN. We are sunny here in Chatt currently!

[url]http://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/md/md0828.html/url]
So I guess that storm that passed me was a supercell. They are the experts and are calling it that. Maybe that wind change as it passed was beginning of a weak rotation? Hmm. If you watch that storm develop and strengthen as it pass's far north eastern Wilson county you can see the swirling motion of the storm as a whole and if you watch velocity you can see red and green together as well. Didn't expect it today it actually woke me up when it was near from the loud cloud to ground lightning back to back.

Online cgauxknox

• Severe Thunderstorm
  • KM4UMK
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 243
« Reply #519 on: May 24, 2017, 02:51:49 PM »
We've had strong wind and storms this morning in Knoxville, but the local mets says that the worst is to come this afternoon. Is that right?
The discussion I'm hearing locally this afternoon is that we're due for some potentially strong or severe storms in Knoxville.  The talk early this morning was that if we got good sun in between fronts that heated things up we would have a better chance of severe weather and we've had blue skies and bright sunlight for better than an hour in west Knox.  The wind and the look of the clouds *feels* right for severe weather.  Time will tell.

Offline mamMATTus

• Supercell
  • Geologist
  • Liked:
« Reply #520 on: May 24, 2017, 03:35:01 PM »
Honestly that watch is going to be a huge bust. There is absolutely nothing going on at the moment.

Offline joemomma

• Severe Thunderstorm
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #521 on: May 24, 2017, 03:38:18 PM »
My forecast still says strong storms for this afternoon....am I missing something?

Offline JayCee

• Tornado
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 777
« Reply #522 on: May 24, 2017, 05:06:46 PM »
Unless something else develops later, I think tonight's severe risk isn't happening.   It's a beautiful evening, but with gusty winds.  All my windows are open, and the air feels too stable (dry/cool) for any intense storms. 
"For many years I was self-appointed inspector of snowstorms and rainstorms, and did my duty faithfully, though I never received one cent for it.." 
Henry David Thoreau

Offline NashRugger

• Derecho
  • current US Navy meteorologist & rugby player
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 80
« Reply #523 on: May 24, 2017, 07:35:49 PM »
I've seen two separate videos taking from BNA's cell waiting lot of a potentially very weak, brief tornado just east of the airport earlier this afternoon.

Offline Skillsweather

• Derecho
  • Liked:
« Reply #524 on: May 24, 2017, 09:39:09 PM »
I've seen two separate videos taking from BNA's cell waiting lot of a potentially very weak, brief tornado just east of the airport earlier this afternoon.
I wonder if it was the supercell that passed over me in wilson county. No warning until it passed but it  was a strong storm for sure.

Advertisement