* User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advertisement

* Current Watches/Warnings/Advisories for TN - Click the (+) Icon to the Right to see them ------>

Author Topic: The 2017 Sprinter/Spring Thread  (Read 109463 times)

Offline Eric

• IF THE NAM VERIFIES
  • Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Call sign: KJ4IXE
    • My Blog...
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 812
Re: The 2017 Sprinter/Spring Thread
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2017, 07:25:07 PM »
Does anyone ever go and read the blog Bering Sea Rule ? Sort of interesting and their method of forecasting predicted a major severe outbreak between Feb 15 and 23.  This forecast was on Jan 23. It very well might not happen but it is interesting. I have sort of kept up with it the last couple years and they seem to be good at picking up major patterns way before models.

Theres certainly indications that this might be a thing.  If they called that THAT far out, they deserve a cold beer.
#tSpotter Coordinator for Rutherford and Montgomery Cos. (@MontCoSevereWx and @RuthSevereWx)

Box 100 Wx Lead Forecaster
Lavergne, TN

Offline BRUCE

• Tornado
  • home of three ef4 tornadoes since 1999
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 774
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2017, 07:36:57 PM »
Does anyone ever go and read the blog Bering Sea Rule ? Sort of interesting and their method of forecasting predicted a major severe outbreak between Feb 15 and 23.  This forecast was on Jan 23. It very well might not happen but it is interesting. I have sort of kept up with it the last couple years and they seem to be good at picking up major patterns way before models.
the upper air pattern being modeled screams trouble... for sure... been watching this last few runs...

Post Merge: February 13, 2017, 07:38:49 PM
you happen have a link to this dyer... interesting in reading this for sure  thanks :)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 07:38:49 PM by BRUCE, Reason: Merged DoublePost »
Come on severe wx season...

Offline Dyersburg Weather

• Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 287
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2017, 10:59:32 PM »
http://blog.organicforecasting.com/?m=1

They use weather occurring in the Bering Sea to forecast what will happen here in 2.5 to 3 weeks.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 11:06:34 PM by Dyersburg Weather »

Offline BRUCE

• Tornado
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2017, 12:36:56 AM »
http://blog.organicforecasting.com/?m=1

They use weather occurring in the Bering Sea to forecast what will happen here in 2.5 to 3 weeks.
absolutely incredible

Online WXHD

• Derecho
  • NWS Storm Spotter. Fan of Extreme Weather.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 252
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2017, 08:46:59 AM »
Had a breif round of sleet around 615 this morning at my house.
Earth transforms sunlight's visible light energy into infrared light energy, which leaves Earth slowly because it is absorbed by greenhouse gases. When people produce greenhouse gases, energy leaves Earth even more slowly raising Earth's temperature. http://www.howglobalwarmingworks.org/

Offline Matthew

• Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 280
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2017, 07:32:27 AM »
Well after today looks like light jackets & short sleeves are up.  Heck looks like shorts on Sun.!  Everything will be budding & blooming or close to it after the next 10-15 days. So here is to hopefully no hard freeze because there is no turning back nature. Gosh take away the 2" we had & this would be worst winter ever.  Almost a shut out.  Will be interesting to see ranking of how warm this winter was & how many times below freezing temps.  were achieved. & what average temps. thru the winter were.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 07:36:43 AM by Matthew »

Offline JayCee

• Derecho
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 403
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2017, 07:49:43 AM »
Well after today looks like light jackets & short sleeves are up.  Heck looks like shorts on Sun.!  Everything will be budding & blooming or close to it after the next 10-15 days. So here is to hopefully no hard freeze because there is no turning back nature. Gosh take away the 2" we had & this would be worst winter ever.  Almost a shut out.  Will be interesting to see ranking of how warm this winter was & how many times below freezing temps.  were achieved. & what average temps. thru the winter were.

I'd say it's almost a guarantee we'll have at least a few more nights near or below freezing, and probably even a hard freeze at some point.  It's way too early for stuff to be blooming out.  But like you said, you can't turn back nature.  Hopefully, the damage won't be too bad.
"For many years I was self-appointed inspector of snowstorms and rainstorms, and did my duty faithfully, though I never received one cent for it.." 
Henry David Thoreau

Offline mempho

• Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 295
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2017, 04:14:19 AM »
This has been a long run of hot weather-going back to the last summer.   

Sent from my SM-G900R7 using Tapatalk

Put on my big snow boots and
I boarded the plane
Touched down in the land of the Delta Blues
In the middle of the freezing rain

Snow up high
Won't you pour down over me
Yeah, I got some accretion
But I'm as blue as a boy can be

Offline StormNine

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 91
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2017, 06:54:18 AM »
I'd say it's almost a guarantee we'll have at least a few more nights near or below freezing, and probably even a hard freeze at some point.  It's way too early for stuff to be blooming out.  But like you said, you can't turn back nature.  Hopefully, the damage won't be too bad.

If we hard freeze I just hope it is early March and not late March-April.  It would be a disaster if it is late March-April.

Offline JayCee

• Derecho
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2017, 01:36:36 PM »
If we hard freeze I just hope it is early March and not late March-April.  It would be a disaster if it is late March-April.

Totally agree.  I'm glad we have a cool down of sorts coming this weekend to hopefully slow down the vegetation from budding and leafing out.  I really don't want to 2007 repeat.   

Here's a good graphic I borrowed from the KY Weather Center to show our temperature roller coaster over the next few weeks. 

"For many years I was self-appointed inspector of snowstorms and rainstorms, and did my duty faithfully, though I never received one cent for it.." 
Henry David Thoreau

Offline Curt

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 204
« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2017, 04:46:50 PM »
EPS getting nearly unanimous on a significant cool down in 2 weeks. Its starts with a major arctic front in the northern plains then moves south and east to bank up against the apps. I have a feeling severe weather season may have to wait until later in March if this is the case.

Offline Thundersnow

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 126
« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2017, 04:51:42 PM »
Hopefully, the cool down can arrive before the early emerging vegetation gets too far on its way.

Offline Clay

• Moderator Supporter
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 489
« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2017, 05:31:21 PM »
I'm sure once we get out of the climatological window for accumulating snow, like magic, blocking will reappear and the floodgates will open.. i.e. Spring 2013.

Offline JayCee

• Derecho
  • Still a wxfreak
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2017, 05:34:44 PM »
Eastern Red Cedar (Juniper) pollen has already reached Spring time levels, and I can feel it.  Allergies I usually acquire a month from now have already kicked it.   ::cough::  There are literally forests of Cedar around here on old abandoned farms, so there's no escaping it. 
Henry David Thoreau

Offline BRUCE

• Tornado
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2017, 05:43:04 PM »
Eastern Red Cedar (Juniper) pollen has already reached Spring time levels, and I can feel it.  Allergies I usually acquire a month from now have already kicked it.   ::cough::  There are literally forests of Cedar around here on old abandoned farms, so there's no escaping it.
trust me  I know... today my head feels like its been in a vise all day today... eyes starting to itch and getting red... sneezing to boot... cant remember my allergies starting to effect me this early before... ever ::bangingheadintowall::

Post Merge: February 21, 2017, 06:05:41 PM
EPS getting nearly unanimous on a significant cool down in 2 weeks. Its starts with a major arctic front in the northern plains then moves south and east to bank up against the apps. I have a feeling severe weather season may have to wait until later in March if this is the case.
still looking like brunt of that air goes northeast on most ensembles ... we catch a glancing blow with that pretty much in and out like its been... so hopefully nothing major to worry about...
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 06:05:41 PM by BRUCE, Reason: Merged DoublePost »

Advertisement