* User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advertisement

* Current Watches/Warnings/Advisories for TN - Click the (+) Icon to the Right to see them ------>

Author Topic: NWS Memphis G+ Spotter Training - 11/11/14  (Read 1485 times)

Memphis Weather

NWS Memphis G+ Spotter Training - 11/11/14
« on: November 05, 2014, 11:07:22 AM »
Awesome opportunity coming up for those interested...NWS Memphis will be holding the first-ever online spotter training session over Google+ Hangouts next week. This move comes just a week after NWS HQ approved G+ pages for its organization so MEG is jumping on this one fast.

Because NWS pages don't even have their own pages set up...MEG has partnered with MemphisWeather.Net to formally host this first session. Needless to say Erik P. is extremely honored to have been asked to host this and thus be a little part of NWS history. It will be held on November 11 at 7:30 PM. Obviously it's free and open to anybody who wants to tune in...and if you can't do that live it will be archived after the fact for on-demand viewing.

If you've never been through spotter training...just don't want to physically go somewhere because you're anti-social LOL...or just need a bit of a refresher...I would make plans for this. You'll get the same training as you would at an in-person session...and at the end you'll also get information on MemphisWeather.Net's #mspotter program in cooperation with MEG. Sorry to disappoint but I won't be participating...so you still won't get to see me. Should have come out to MEG's actual session two years ago...I did invite you after all. ;) :P 

This is pretty exciting and certainly could be an indication of where all spotter training might be headed in the future. Since its the first-ever session of this type...hopefully all will go smoothly with little issue. My understanding is a test session yesterday went very well.

I'll post an actual link once its available as we get closer to next Tuesday.

Offline @NashSevereWx

• Severe Thunderstorm
    • @NashSevereWx
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
Re: NWS Memphis G+ Spotter Training - 11/11/14
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2014, 12:51:44 PM »
OHX has been doing online spotter classes this fall, although I don't believe they've done so via Google Hangouts. Very cool. Great for Erik.
Nowcasting Severe Weather
Davidson & Williamson Counties
@NashSevereWx on Twitter
NashSevereWx.com on the web

Memphis Weather

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2014, 01:00:25 PM »
OHX has been doing online spotter classes this fall, although I don't believe they've done so via Google Hangouts. Very cool. Great for Erik.

Yes...the first is for Google Hangouts. Eventually NWS offices will have their own pages (similar to FB/Twitter) but since it just got the green light days ago they haven't gotten that far yet. That's why MWN is stepping in here. In the future MEG and other offices will have hangouts on their own pages...and ideally not just for spotter training but potentially for many other things they could take advantage of.

Offline Charles L.

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1616
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2014, 01:08:24 PM »
Yes...the first is for Google Hangouts. Eventually NWS offices will have their own pages (similar to FB/Twitter) but since it just got the green light days ago they haven't gotten that far yet. That's why MWN is stepping in here. In the future MEG and other offices will have hangouts on their own pages...and ideally not just for spotter training but potentially for many other things they could take advantage of.

Would be great to have this for severe/winter weather teleconference's for higher threats.

Guess you would have to change the name to web conference.
Mobile chat link:

http://tennesseewx.com/arrowchat/public/mobile/

SumnerSevereWx and MaconSevereWx #tSpotter Coordinator

Offline Eric

• IF THE NAM VERIFIES
  • Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Call sign: KJ4IXE
    • My Blog...
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 809
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2014, 02:08:47 PM »
I just about shatted when I jumped on and saw G-spot instead of G+ Spotter.  Guess I need new glasses....

Congrats to Erik.  Much deserved.
#tSpotter Coordinator for Rutherford and Montgomery Cos. (@MontCoSevereWx and @RuthSevereWx)

Box 100 Wx Lead Forecaster
Lavergne, TN

Memphis Weather

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2014, 12:33:58 PM »
Tonight is the night. Hope some will be able to tune in live or catch it archived after the fact. Here's the link to follow...

http://www.memphisweather.net/hangout.shtml

Hoping it goes well and very smoothly. There have been a lot of testing and rehearsals behind the scenes to ensure that it does!

Offline Mr. William E. Brantley

• Tornado
  • I`m a N.W.S. Skywarn Trained Storm Spotter !
    • Yesterdays Historical Climate Summary
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 85
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2014, 02:10:47 AM »
Awesome opportunity coming up for those interested...NWS Memphis will be holding the first-ever online spotter training session over Google+ Hangouts next week. This move comes just a week after NWS HQ approved G+ pages for its organization so MEG is jumping on this one fast.

Because NWS pages don't even have their own pages set up...MEG has partnered with MemphisWeather.Net to formally host this first session. Needless to say Erik P. is extremely honored to have been asked to host this and thus be a little part of NWS history. It will be held on November 11 at 7:30 PM. Obviously it's free and open to anybody who wants to tune in...and if you can't do that live it will be archived after the fact for on-demand viewing.

If you've never been through spotter training...just don't want to physically go somewhere because you're anti-social LOL...or just need a bit of a refresher...I would make plans for this. You'll get the same training as you would at an in-person session...and at the end you'll also get information on MemphisWeather.Net's #mspotter program in cooperation with MEG. Sorry to disappoint but I won't be participating...so you still won't get to see me. Should have come out to MEG's actual session two years ago...I did invite you after all. ;) :P 

This is pretty exciting and certainly could be an indication of where all spotter training might be headed in the future. Since its the first-ever session of this type...hopefully all will go smoothly with little issue. My understanding is a test session yesterday went very well.

I'll post an actual link once its available as we get closer to next Tuesday.
I watched it and really Enjoyed watching it.
I`ve shared the video sesson on my Facebook and Twitter pages for later viewing by me or anyone else who may have missed it.
I`ve been a Trained Storm Spotter for the Memphis Office since 1995 They had 5 Key Words that you have to email them so you can get a certificate from them thru the mail.

* Recent Posts

Fall 2017
by Dyersburg Weather
[Yesterday at 08:30:07 PM]
Winter 2017-18
by bugalou
[Yesterday at 03:48:37 PM]
Hurricane Maria
by Thundersnow
[Yesterday at 09:55:11 AM]
BEMIS, TN --Historical Weather Facts, Climate Data, and Rainfall
by Mr. William E. Brantley