* User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advertisement

* Current Watches/Warnings/Advisories for TN - Click the (+) Icon to the Right to see them ------>

Author Topic: Book/Books?  (Read 1299 times)

Offline Lindsey13

• Sunny
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 42
Book/Books?
« on: May 02, 2014, 09:19:15 AM »
Could someone recommend a book/books that will help explain the maps/soundings etc? Something that will help me interpret the things that are posted about severe weather. That way I won't have to ask.

I know I have already asked and Charles gave me a great website (https://www.meted.ucar.edu/)  but my children turn into little monsters when I use the computer and make it impossible to learn.

Offline Eric

• IF THE NAM VERIFIES
  • Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Call sign: KJ4IXE
    • My Blog...
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 809
Re: Book/Books?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2014, 11:40:45 AM »
Could someone recommend a book/books that will help explain the maps/soundings etc? Something that will help me interpret the things that are posted about severe weather. That way I won't have to ask.

I know I have already asked and Charles gave me a great website (https://www.meted.ucar.edu/)  but my children turn into little monsters when I use the computer and make it impossible to learn.

Don't know of any books, but when given the opportunity, look up www.theweatherprediction.com.  Jeff Haby is a master at "dumbing down" the more difficult aspects of severe weather/severe weather forecasting.
#tSpotter Coordinator for Rutherford and Montgomery Cos. (@MontCoSevereWx and @RuthSevereWx)

Box 100 Wx Lead Forecaster
Lavergne, TN

Offline Lindsey13

• Sunny
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 42
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2014, 01:14:28 PM »
Thanks!

Offline Rich L.

• Shower
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 31
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2014, 05:26:56 AM »
I like this rather colorful book set from Weather Graphics...

http://www.weathergraphics.com/books

Been a great set and I keep the redbook at the trailer.
-Rich Long

Offline Fred Gossage

• Thunderstorm
    • FOX6 Weather Blog - MyFoxTracker.com
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2014, 04:19:32 PM »
All of the resources listed above are VERY useful... and will get you far with understanding weather processes and being able to actively forecast on your own with real-time data.  Once you start to have a good understanding of the basic elements and how things function in the atmosphere... if you really want to learn soundings, take the Skew-T Mastery module from MetEd.  It is highly detailed, but not to the point where it will go way over your head.  You will learn a LOT... and you will walk away, being able to interpret soundings (observed or model forecast) for a multitude of different types of weather... and you will even have the information down to be able to modify a sounding yourself, to account for processes expected later in the day... or if a sounding from a model isn't handling something the way you're forecasting.
Fred Gossage
Pell City, Alabama

Facebook
Twitter

* Recent Posts

Fall 2017
by Dyersburg Weather
[Yesterday at 08:30:07 PM]
Winter 2017-18
by bugalou
[Yesterday at 03:48:37 PM]
Hurricane Maria