* User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advertisement

* Current Watches/Warnings/Advisories for TN - Click the (+) Icon to the Right to see them ------>

Author Topic: Best Meteorolgical Schools?  (Read 10236 times)

Offline Adam

Re: Best Meteorolgical Schools?
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2013, 07:20:19 PM »
I just do not want to go to a school that I won't like in the future. There are so many tough choices...
AND A LOT CAN CHANGE BETWEEN NOW AND THEN.

Offline mamMATTus

• Supercell
  • Geologist
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 65
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2013, 07:31:11 PM »
I've heard/read nothing but good things about UNC Asheville, especially on the severe weather side of things. It helps that it's home to the NCDC. I'm considering going there after I get my Geology degree in a year

Offline Adam

« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2013, 07:37:07 PM »
I've heard/read nothing but good things about UNC Asheville, especially on the severe weather side of things. It helps that it's home to the NCDC. I'm considering going there after I get my Geology degree in a year
I really just do not think I would like to go to UNC Asheville. Weather wise my schools go Mississippi State, WKU, UAH. Then if for some reason I change my mind I wanna go to UT and do Broadcasting.

Offline harlequin

• Derecho
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 449
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2013, 09:36:18 AM »
I didn't really look at state schools but I think you may be right that you wouldn't like Asheville if you favor old-fashioned SEC school-types. I don't know much about UNC-Asheville but the city has become a bit overrun by hipsters, eco-interests, and trying-to-hard trendies (tryhards). My friends and I go there sometimes and some of the younger people are snottier than Dupont Circle or Williamsburg.

Offline Adam

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2013, 03:00:09 PM »
I didn't really look at state schools but I think you may be right that you wouldn't like Asheville if you favor old-fashioned SEC school-types. I don't know much about UNC-Asheville but the city has become a bit overrun by hipsters, eco-interests, and trying-to-hard trendies (tryhards). My friends and I go there sometimes and some of the younger people are snottier than Dupont Circle or Williamsburg.
Well I go hard in everything I do, but I am not cocky or snootie to others.

Offline dwagner88

• Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 86
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2013, 05:35:04 PM »
If you like beer UNC-Asheville will be awesome. There are a lot of great craft breweries in Asheville (more per capita than any other city in the US I believe). If you want a big school, check out NC state. You get almost SEC caliber sports and a great MET program. They also have an awesome engineering program (they have their own nuclear reactor!) if you decide to go that route instead. I seem to recall from a thread a few years ago that we have many engineers here at TNwx, myself included. Consider civil engineering for a profession that will have many tie-ins with weather.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 05:36:46 PM by dwagner88 »
Winter 2009-10 Snowfall: 11.5 in. :)
Winter 2010-11 Snowfall: 15.5 in. :)
Winter 2011-12: Trace
Winter 2012-2013: 0.25 in.
Winter 2013-14: 10.6 (9.5 on 2/12)
Winter 2014-2015:
2/18 - 0.25" snow
2/20 - 1.5" snow, 0.15" ZR
2/24 - 0.5" snow
2/25 - 8" snow :)

Offline SKEW-TIM

• Supercell
  • Weather Enthusiast
    • Blue Ridge Visual
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 227
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2013, 07:33:42 AM »
I am from 30 Miles south of Asheville (Hendersonville/Flat Rock)If you have been on I-26 and seen the BAT CAVE exit-that is it!   
So I can tell you alot about NC...Especially Western NC. 
UNC-A has always been known as a Liberal Arts school but their Met School has a pretty good reputation...
Lots of people love Asheville for its "artsy" feel- But it is a Hippie Mecca. It is a very "open" area.  Lots of Micro Brewery's starting to pop up there and the state is encouraging more top the area.  It's not my cup of tea but it is a beautiful place with the mountains and great place to be from. Lots to do and see if you are into the outdoor, Hiking, Camping and Mountain Biking! Kinda of an area like Boulder CO. I miss it in the fall but I do get home several times a year to see the family. 
NC State is Awesome  -- The Engineering School is Top Notch ---two cousins and several good friends went there. 
But I guess it depends on whether or not you want to travel away from home....   ::twocents::
“You may be whatever you resolve to be.”
― Stonewall Jackson

Offline WXRocker

• TN SVR WX AWARENESS FEST: JAN 1 - DEC. 31
  • Global Moderator
  • Derecho
  • Your TNWX Den Mother
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 197
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2013, 09:35:49 AM »
-=sniff=-

Our little man is all grown up.   ::bacon::
Quote from: ERIC
We specialize in @$$hattery.

Welcome to Tennessee, where every day's weather is an exercise in bipolar disorder.

Forum Guidelines

Offline Adam

« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2013, 02:44:58 PM »
-=sniff=-

Our little man is all grown up.   ::bacon::
Awwww WeatherRocker has actually enjoyed watching me grow up lol. I am just so blessed with everything in my life right now. Thank you so much for the information guys... I am really going to consider almost every option, but I still like MSU as of now.

Offline WXRocker

• TN SVR WX AWARENESS FEST: JAN 1 - DEC. 31
  • Global Moderator
  • Derecho
  • Your TNWX Den Mother
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 197
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2013, 06:05:57 PM »
Awwww WeatherRocker has actually enjoyed watching me grow up lol. I am just so blessed with everything in my life right now. Thank you so much for the information guys... I am really going to consider almost every option, but I still like MSU as of now.
I feel so old.   ::bagoverhead::

But I have to say, no matter where you go, I don't see you having much of a problem with your classes.  You might even accidentally teach your instructors a thing or two!  -=proud forum mama=-   ::guitar::
Quote from: ERIC
We specialize in @$$hattery.

Welcome to Tennessee, where every day's weather is an exercise in bipolar disorder.

Forum Guidelines

Offline Adam

« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2013, 07:16:31 PM »
I feel so old.   ::bagoverhead::

But I have to say, no matter where you go, I don't see you having much of a problem with your classes.  You might even accidentally teach your instructors a thing or two!  -=proud forum mama=-   ::guitar::
You think I am smart, well maybe I am. ;)

Offline Adam

« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2013, 07:19:55 PM »
I just want to hit homeruns in every aspect of my senior year. I am Class President and I want to hit a homerun there and also with golf and grades.

Offline Cameron K.

• Derecho
  • Location: Franklin,TN / UAHuntsville. Senior ESS-Atmospheric Science major
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2013, 09:55:39 PM »
UAH all the way!!!

I'm a junior there under the ESS-Atmospheric Science program and I must say this school is wonderful. It's amazing to be at a college where you are taking classes at the NWS/NSSTC. Some of the professors there are employed as meteorologists. The neat thing about this program is that it isn't just about learning meteorology, but also highly focuses on understanding the dynamic features of the earth as system that influences the weather.  Plus there is lots of funding from NASA. They(UAH) are even funding my research capstone(ESS 499) which I'm currently working on in Panama--beautiful country by the way. My research team and I are currently working on validating NASA satellite products such as SRTM(Shuttle Radar Topography Mission) and ASTER(Advanced Spaceborne Thermal Emission and Reflection Radiometer) with field work. I'm very proud to be going this school. If you're looking to go into research or make connections this is the place to be. But then again, I am a tad bit bias.
Don't knock the weather, nine-tenths of the people couldn't start a conversation if it didn't change once in a while.
-  Kin Hubbard

Offline Adam

« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2013, 05:37:14 AM »
UAH all the way!!!

I'm a junior there under the ESS-Atmospheric Science program and I must say this school is wonderful. It's amazing to be at a college where you are taking classes at the NWS/NSSTC. Some of the professors there are employed as meteorologists. The neat thing about this program is that it isn't just about learning meteorology, but also highly focuses on understanding the dynamic features of the earth as system that influences the weather.  Plus there is lots of funding from NASA. They(UAH) are even funding my research capstone(ESS 499) which I'm currently working on in Panama--beautiful country by the way. My research team and I are currently working on validating NASA satellite products such as SRTM(Shuttle Radar Topography Mission) and ASTER(Advanced Spaceborne Thermal Emission and Reflection Radiometer) with field work. I'm very proud to be going this school. If you're looking to go into research or make connections this is the place to be. But then again, I am a tad bit bias.
That sounds incredible I am ready to take my visit really soon!

Offline Adam

« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2013, 05:29:24 PM »
Update....

UAH was absolutley incredible and they are leading as far as meteorlogical schools go. They have so many oppourtunities to get jobs and even have a summer job with the NWS. Huntsville is also a great town and I am just so excited!

Advertisement