* User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advertisement

* Current Watches/Warnings/Advisories for TN - Click the (+) Icon to the Right to see them ------>

Author Topic: Best Meteorolgical Schools?  (Read 11921 times)

Offline Adam

Best Meteorolgical Schools?
« on: June 20, 2013, 10:25:19 AM »
     My senior year is going to be starting very soon and I have been visiting some schools that offer meteorology as well as some that do not. My favorite school that carries meteorology right now is Mississippi State University because I really liked the campus and SEC football is a very big pull. The second best would be Western Kentucky. I really liked their campus and the location is very good for family events and such. UT Martin which recently started a meteorolgical program was very small and I just do not think I would like going there because of the size issues.

I am asking you all who have been to college for meteorology what college you think would be best. UAH also has an atmospheric science degree which has ties to NASA and NOAA so that is something to check out.
AND A LOT CAN CHANGE BETWEEN NOW AND THEN.

Offline Eric

• IF THE NAM VERIFIES
  • Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Call sign: KJ4IXE
    • My Blog...
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 863
Re: Best Meteorolgical Schools?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 11:41:16 AM »
     My senior year is going to be starting very soon and I have been visiting some schools that offer meteorology as well as some that do not. My favorite school that carries meteorology right now is Mississippi State University because I really liked the campus and SEC football is a very big pull. The second best would be Western Kentucky. I really liked their campus and the location is very good for family events and such. UT Martin which recently started a meteorolgical program was very small and I just do not think I would like going there because of the size issues.

I am asking you all who have been to college for meteorology what college you think would be best. UAH also has an atmospheric science degree which has ties to NASA and NOAA so that is something to check out.

MSU - Great online program...a lot of do-it-yourself work, though.  Out-of-state tuition is CRAZY high.

WKU - Good, solid local program that has a really good working relationship with OHX.  Every function OHX participates in, the WKU guys are working hand-in-hand with them.  Charles can provide further details on the WKU program.

UT Martin - New program.  Not sure how involved they get, but the in-state tuition is a great draw.
#tSpotter Coordinator for Rutherford and Montgomery Cos. (@MontCoSevereWx and @RuthSevereWx)

Box 100 Wx Lead Forecaster
Lavergne, TN

Offline NashRugger

• Derecho
  • current US Navy meteorologist & rugby player
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 80
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 12:04:42 PM »
UAH has a great program that is, from what I've read and know people that attended, is heavily focused on the research side, particularly radar technology.

Offline Thundersnow

• Administrator
  • Tornado
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2013, 12:08:17 PM »
I've heard MS State has a good program.

Don't tell my wife I said that- she's an Ole Miss alum.   ;)

Offline StormNine

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2013, 04:21:45 PM »
  I'm actually going to be attending WKU for graduate school on the Geology side of things.  WKU is a nice school it is a good deal larger than your OVC schools, but not quite as huge as the SEC/ACC schools.  Bowling Green is a nice town(of around 55000) that has a lot of activities for both family and college students.  The Met at the Jonesboro ARK station is a WKU grad I believe.  You will get out of state here, not as bad as Miss. State, but still will be costly.

-Miss. State is considered the meteorology school of the south.  Several graduates come from the program, and plus you have the SEC feel of it. 

- UT Martin gives you in-state and if you want to be part of an unknown but growing program, and you get in state.  Also Martin, TN is in rural northwest Tennessee, so if don't get involved on campus you could be pretty bored at times.

-  Louisville has a program, but I don't know much about it.

- If you are really advantageous you have OU, Colorado State, UNLV, and I believe at least one of the big time Arizona schools if not both of them. 

Offline Echodar

• Sunny
  • Student at WKU
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2013, 06:13:19 PM »
WKU all the way!

Offline Adam

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2013, 08:47:31 AM »
Thank you for all the information guys! I will continue to weigh my options and visit the schools more. I think I can make high enough on my ACT to knock off some of the Out of State tuition though.

Offline Charles L.

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1749
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2013, 08:52:00 AM »
WKU has a great program. It is quickly becoming one of the better meteorology programs around.

They actually have two different meteorology tracks. You can major in meteorology and take all the extensive courses (which is necessary if you want to work in the private sector).

Or you can major in Land, Weather/Climate and minor in another subject (most choose communications). This track is mainly if you want to get into broadcasting meteorology...which was my track. It isn't as extensive in the math and sciences, hence why you have to minor in another course.

There are several classmates I graduated with that currently have jobs. A few are in the TV biz (Cheyenne, Peoria, and Hazard). Then there are several who work with the NWS currently.

Hope this helps! I got out of meteorology a couple years ago, but am currently planning on going back. Broadcasting meteorology is my passion, I do not want to do anything else with my life.
Mobile chat link:

http://tennesseewx.com/arrowchat/public/mobile/

SumnerSevereWx and MaconSevereWx #tSpotter Coordinator

Offline Adam

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2013, 09:23:20 AM »
Thank you Charles that is very interesting! I am so excited for my college career, but I have to focus on my Senior year right now because I am taking calculus and physics!

Offline Charles L.

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1749
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2013, 10:08:54 AM »
Thank you Charles that is very interesting! I am so excited for my college career, but I have to focus on my Senior year right now because I am taking calculus and physics!

I took pre-cal and physics my senior year. I know the feeling!

The one piece of advice I will give you is stay the course. There will be plenty of times where you will feel like you can't do it. It is mind over matter when it comes to college.
Mobile chat link:

http://tennesseewx.com/arrowchat/public/mobile/

SumnerSevereWx and MaconSevereWx #tSpotter Coordinator

Offline justinmundie

• Tornado
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 352
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2013, 10:40:54 AM »
Adam - are you planning on playing Golf in college? You talk a good game, didn't know if you have the skills to get any scholarship at a D1 school.

Offline Adam

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2013, 10:53:23 AM »
Adam - are you planning on playing Golf in college? You talk a good game, didn't know if you have the skills to get any scholarship at a D1 school.
I am a good player, and I am trying to work really hard this summer to maybe get some looks at least, but I am not a great player. I may get a look or two locally, but as far as a D1 offer I am just not that good. Hard work pays off and I am getting better, but I need to have a homerun season for golf this year if I want D1 offers. I will try to walk on where ever I go though and maybe earn a scholarship.

Offline Adam

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2013, 10:57:16 AM »
My school should be able to make a run at state this year, so if I make it there then maybe I can earn a scholarship.

Offline Delete My Profile

• Derecho
  • Likes Given: 377
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2013, 12:35:08 PM »
University of South Alabama has an excellent campus, weather service and staff. It's a bit underrated in my opinion, but I am bit biased since I went there. Worth looking into. It's up to par with UAH or UNC-Asheville.
If you like online cliques, this is the place for you. Should not have created an account in the first place.

Offline SKEW-TIM

• Derecho
  • Weather Enthusiast
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 227
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2013, 02:47:26 PM »
I am from western nc and can vouch for UNC Asheville , A great school ,one of the top meteorology programs in North Carolina and the area is really nice too. Several folks I know went there....
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 02:49:23 PM by SKEW-TIM »
“You may be whatever you resolve to be.”
― Stonewall Jackson

Advertisement