* User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advertisement

* Current Watches/Warnings/Advisories for TN - Click the (+) Icon to the Right to see them ------>

Author Topic: So You Want To Learn About Weather?  (Read 5919 times)

Offline Ron_Jarrell

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • KJ4CPT
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
So You Want To Learn About Weather?
« on: April 05, 2006, 01:11:28 PM »
Here's some guides to get you started learning about and spotting severe weather.

http://www.srh.weather.gov/jetstream/index.htm

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/oun/stormspotting/

If you're interested in getting certified, check with your local National Weather Service Forecast Office to see when the next SKYWARN certification class is in your area.
Views expressed are my personal views and opinions and should not take the place of official forecasts and warnings issued by the NWS and your local media.

KJ4CPT

Offline msdawg911

• Supercell
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
So You Want To Learn About Weather?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2006, 09:55:17 PM »
Here's a great detailed forecast education site...

http://www.theweatherprediction.com/
Jake Hughes
Global Moderator

Geosciences/Professional Meteorology Student
Mississippi State University

Offline armyfemme

• Sunny
  • Don't like the weath-ah? Wait a couple minutes...
  • Liked:
Re: So You Want To Learn About Weather?
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2008, 10:42:58 PM »
Are there any actual classes/seminars/etc in the Tennessee? Here's the deal... I'm on the brink of deciding on what I want to be when I "grow up" and meterology is looking pretty good. That's right folks, the weather bug has bitten me... I'm serious about studying this but need some advice on how to start :)

p.s.
Note to self: First learn how to spell METEOROLOGY. Check.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 10:49:07 PM by armyfemme »

Offline Ron_Jarrell

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • KJ4CPT
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2008, 11:17:19 PM »
There's a whole slew of SKYWARN seminars coming. They start the end of February and run just about every week until May or so. Do that first and you'll be an official spotter.
Views expressed are my personal views and opinions and should not take the place of official forecasts and warnings issued by the NWS and your local media.

KJ4CPT

Offline Matt Brawner

• Sunny
  • KJ4EVO
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2008, 09:06:35 AM »
Matt Brawner
Sumner EMA
KJ4EVO

Offline StormNine

• Global Moderator
  • Tornado
  • Twitter:
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 91
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2008, 07:24:00 PM »
Sometimes there are a few in the fall time too like around September.  Most are in Feb, Mar, April timeframe before and during the main severe weather season.  Very informative class to there is basic class and also an advanced class.  To me I got my skywarn certificate by taking both an basic and an advanced class back to back which takes about 4 hours.  With like a 10 minute break in between.  I will need to take another one this upcoming fall/winter/spring since it has been Sept 9th 2006 since I took that class.

Offline WFayetteTN

• Supercell
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2010, 10:47:58 PM »
This is the best place Ive found to post this message... let me know if theres a better thread.

So I saw a link about 30 pages back (a few days ago) on the "Arctic Regime" thread of someone mentioning comet.ucar.edu as a good source for "free" but good training. I consider myself intermediate in some areas, advanced in other areas, with no formal training. Looking at the MetEd section of that website, there are 360+ modules to choose from. Yes, I see that some are Portuguese etc, but seeing that I dont have much formal foundational training, would it be recommended that I start running through some level 1 stuff that interests me? or start with level 0? Im the kind of person that if something is too remedial, I get bored and dont follow-through. I dont want to waste my time on things that arent going to be challenging to me.. Im just curious how the Levels run on that site. If I started with Level 1, would it assume I had some Level 0 and be over my head? Or should I just go by trial and error? Any input is greatly appreciated.
Quote from: Thundersnow
Bummer... I'll miss the familiar urgency of the all caps regardless of the real urgency.
A TRANQUIL WEATHER PATTERN BRINGING FAIR SKIES WILL DOMINATE THE REGION.

Advertisement